Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Chapter V : Teaching Practice

      

After teacher Beth thought that I had enough Teaching Assistance, she asked me to make lesson plans and prepare to teach. I was a little anxious that time but I managed to try my best. Later, I will be teaching in Mathayom 1/1 and 1/2 (grade 7), and Mathayom 2/2 (grade 8). So, I have to prepare several lesson plans related to the teaching materials. But, my teaching practice that will be supervised by my mentor from VRU, Dr. Premjit, is my teaching practice in Mathayom 2/2.
For my teaching supervision, Teacher Beth showed me which material that I had to teach and make the lesson plan about. It was simple present tense and present continuous tense. She asked me to make a lesson plan that includes game and also evaluation related to the material. She wanted me to make the students active and cheerful during the lesson. After several discussions with Teacher Beth, we finally came to a conclusion about how my teaching practice will be. The next day, I gave my lesson plan to her to be revised and she gave me some suggestions for a more efficient teaching. After getting Teacher Beth’s approval for my lesson plan, I continued to prepare my materials and instructional media.
I used Power-Point Presentation for my main instructional media. I also used fill in the blank for their excercise by calling their number randomly to come in front of the class using the Random Generator app in my cell phone. This app is really helpful since it will arouse students excitement. The students will be wondering which number will be called as they see the numbers spin on the screen. Then, for the evaluation, I used Kahoot to assess the students’ understanding of the materials while they had to work together in a group. They were devided into five groups and had to answer the questions on the screen correctly and quickly through their cell phones. 
              5.1     Procedures of Teaching
In conducting teaching practice, there is a difference between teaching in Indonesia and teaching in Thailand. I usually use scientific approach when I conduct teaching practice in Indonesia. This approach contains some teaching procedures such as observing, questioning, associating, exploring, and communicating. But, compared to Indonesia, Thailand has way simpler teaching procedures. It is only devided into motivation/warm up, presentation, practice, production/activities and wrap-up.

              5.2     Time Management and Organizing Activities
The teaching time was 60 minutes. Five minutes for opening, fifty minutes for main activities, and another five minutes for closing. I started by asking them some questions related to simple present tense and present continuous tense, continued to explaining the materials carefully, giving them examples, engaging them to the learning process by asking the answer of some questions, doing excercises by asking them to come forward one by one, and letting them to work in groups for the evaluation. Thank God, I managed to finish all of the activities on time and everything run so well.

              5.3     Problem-solving
There were two problems that I faced before conducting my teaching practice. The first was a miscommunication, and the second was the teaching time. I taught in the same floor with my friend, Dedek, who was also supervised in the same exact time like me. The problem is the school only has one TV (screen for presenting the PPT) on each floor. But, me and Dedek needed the TV since both of us used PPT as our instructional media. Several days before the teaching practice, I already told this to Teacher Terry, the chief of English Department. He said that we could move the TV from downstairs to the second floor in the day when we will use it. So, I tought it was okay and the problem was solved. But, when the day came, as Teacher Terry asked some students to help him to get the TV upstairs, the students said that it was impossible since the TV is too heavy to be moved. To solve this, I asked Teacher Terry whether it is possible if the students from Mathayom 2 to move to the empty class downstairs where in that floor there was no teacher used the TV. Then, he said that it was a good idea. Finally, I used the downstairs class to conduct my teaching practice.
The second problem was the teaching time. Actually, My mentor, Dr. Premjit, not only supervised me, but also my friend, Nulli. Nulli’s class was an hour earlier before my class. Unexpectedly, by the time my class was started, Nulli’s class had not finished yet. I was a little anxious because my time for teaching will be shorten since Dr. Premjit was still supervising Nulli. Fortunately, Teacher Beth told me that I would get additional time for my teaching practice. I felt relieved as I heard Teacher Beth told me so.
              5.4     Classroom Management
In managing the classroom, a teacher should be able to make all the students engaged to the lesson. I tried my best to do so by asking them some questions related to the part of the materials that I was about to explain. I felt so happy since all of the students were actively engaged to the lesson and correctly answer my questions.
There was also the time where the students being so noisy during the lesson. Having a noisy class is very common for teachers. But, it sometimes means that the students are having fun. For example, when my students work in groups to finish the Kahoot evaluation. They were all so excited to answer the questions because they had to be hurry in order to get a higher score. Then, to manage this, I tried to raise my voice louder and call them with "hello" and they answered with "hi". By that, their attentions can back to me.

              5.5     Lesson Plan
Before conducting my teaching practices, I made several lesson plans. These following two are the examples. The first material is simple present tense for Mathayom 1/1 and 1/2 (grade 7) and the second material is simple present tense and present continuous tense for Mathayom 2/2 (grade 8).


LESSON PLAN
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE






Arranged By :
Elin Tri Susilo
PGRI Madiun University








SATIT BANGNA SCHOOL
VALAYA ALONGKORN RAJABHAT UNIVERSITY
SEA TEACHER PROGRAM
BANG PHLI, THAILAND
2018

LESSON PLAN
Teacher’s Name       : Elin Tri Susilo
School                      : Satit Bangna School
Class / Semester
:
M.1 / I (Grade 7/ I)

Skill
:
Grammar

Duration
:
60 minutes

Topic
:
Simple Present Tense (Attached)

Objectives of The Study
:

1.      Students are able to change the form of affirmative sentences into negative and introgative sentences or vice versa.
2.      Students are able to use simple present tense in sentences.

Media
:
1.      Scrambled words.
2.      Kahoot.

Procedures
:
A.    Opening (5 minutes);
1.      The teacher greets the students.
2.      The teacher checks the attendance list.
3.      The teacher gives Brainstorming.
B.     Main activity/teaching procedure (50 minutes);
1.      The teacher explains the materials.
2.      The teacher gives examples of simple present tense.
3.      The teacher asks each student to make a sentence directly after being randomly pointed by the teacher.
4.      The teacher then asks the other students to change its form into the negative and introgative sentences.
5.      The teacher asks the students to play a game (scrambled words) :
·         The teacher devides the class into three groups.
·         Each group is given some scrambled words.
·         They have to arrange those words into the correct order.
·         The fastest group to finish win the game.
·         The winning group gets a prize.
6.      Teacher gives an exercise :
·         Teacher asks the students to make daily activities list.
·         The daily activities must include their activities starting from waking up in the morning untill they go back to sleep.
·         The exercise has to be submitted to the teacher as soon as they finish it.

C.     Closing (10 minutes)
1.      The teacher summarizes the lesson that has been learned before.
2.      The teacher asks if there is any question or dificulties related to the material which is not understood yet by the students.
3.      The teacher ends the lesson by saying thank you.


Evaluation
:
(Attached)
Source
(Reference)
:
Amin, A. Eravelly, R. and Ibrahim, F. J. 2004. Grammar Builder 2 : A Grammar Guidebook for Students of English. Cambridge University Press, England. 243 pp.




MATERIAL
Simple Present Tense
1.      Usage
·         Habit
·         Routine
·         Fact

2.      Sentence Pattern
·         Nominal Sentence
( + )      : Subject + to be + noun / adjective
( - )       : Subject + to be + not + noun / adjective
( ? )      : To be + subject +  noun / adjective

·         Verbal Sentence
( + )     : Subject + V1 (s, es, ies) + AOT + Complement
( - )      : Subject + do/does + not + V1 + AOT + Complement
( ? )      : Do / does + Subject + V1 + AOT + Complement + ?

3.      Adverb of Time         
·         Everyday
·         Every year
·         Every Monday
·         Every night
·         Often
·         Seldom
·         Always
·         Etc.

4.      V1 (s, es, ies)
·         (-es)
Ø  -ss
Ø  -sh
Ø  -ch
Ø  -o
Ø  -x

·         (-s)
Ø  Consonant
Ø  Vowel + y

·         (-ies)
Ø  Consonant + y

  
EVALUATION
Task 1
Scrambled Words
1.      I don’t buy ten notebooks from the stationary each month.
2.      Nicole washes the dishes every morning.
3.      The policemen don’t regulate the traffic every Saturday night.
4.      Is Jefree a great singer ?
5.      Niki often sings some romantic songs.

Task 2
Make a Daily Activities List of what you usually do from waking up in the morning untill going back to sleep !


LESSON PLAN
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE AND PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE





SEA.png

Arranged By :
Elin Tri Susilo
PGRI Madiun University








SATIT BANGNA SCHOOL
VALAYA ALONGKORN RAJABHAT UNIVERSITY
SEA TEACHER PROGRAM
BANG PHLI, THAILAND
2018
LESSON PLAN
Name                        : Elin Tri Susilo
School                      : Satit Bangna School
Class / Semester
:
M.2 / I (Grade 8 / I)

Skill
:
Grammar

Duration
:
60 minutes

Topic
:
Simple Present Tense and Present Continuous Tense (Attached)

Objectives of The Study
:

1.      Students are able to distinguish whether sentences are categorized as simple present tense or present continuous tense.
2.      Students are able to use simple present tense and present continuous tense in sentences.

Media
:
1.      Power-Point Presentation.
2.      Blank sentences.
3.      Kahoot.

Procedures
:
A.    Opening (5 minutes);
1.      The teacher greets students.
2.      The teacher checks the attendance list.
3.      The teacher gives Brainstorming.

B.     Main activity/teaching procedure (50 minutes);
1.      The teacher explains the lessons using Power-Point Presentation.
2.      The teacher give examples of simple present tense and present continuous tense to the students.
3.      The teacher asks each student to make a sentence directly after being randomly pointed by the teacher.
4.      The teacher asks the students to do an exercise :
·         The teacher asks each student to come forward randomly.
·         Each student has to categorize a sentence into simple present tense or present continuous tense.
·         The students put the sentences into the correct category in the T chart.


·         After putting the sentences into the correct category, students have to complete the blank sentences using the suitable verbs according to the tenses.
·         The students may sit down as soon as they finish the works.
5.      Teacher gives another exercise using Kahoot :
·         The students are devided into five groups.
·         The teacher asks each group to take out one of their cellphone.
·         Each group is asked to access kahoot.it.
·         They have to answer the questions displayed on the screen using kahoot.it from their cellphones.
·         The result will directly come out as soon as all of the students finish answering the questions.

C.     Closing (10 minutes)
1.      The teacher summarizes the lesson that has been learned before.
2.      The teacher asks if there is any question or dificulties related to the material which is not understood yet by the students.
3.      The teacher ends the lesson by saying thank you.


Evaluation
:
(Attached)
Source
(Reference)
:
Amin, A. Eravelly, R. and Ibrahim, F. J. 2004. Grammar Builder 2 : A Grammar Guidebook for Students of English. Cambridge University Press, England. 243 pp.
  
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE AND PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE

Simple Present Tense
1.      Usage              : To describe daily routine, habits, and facts.
2.      Sentence Pattern
·         Nominal Sentence
( + )      : Subject + to be + noun / adjective
( - )       : Subject + to be + not + noun / adjective
( ? )      : To be + subject +  noun / adjective

·         Verbal Sentence
( + )     : Subject + V1 (s, es, ies) + AOT + Complement
( - )      : Subject + do/does + not + V1 + AOT + Complement
( ? )      : Do / does + Subject + V1 + AOT + Complement + ?

3.      Adverb of Time         
·         Everyday
·         Every year
·         Every Monday
·         Every night
·         Often
·         Seldom
·         Always
·         Etc.

4.      V1 (s, es, ies)
·         (-es)
Ø  -ss
Ø  -sh
Ø  -ch
Ø  -o
Ø  -x

·         (-s)
Ø  Consonant
Ø  Vowel + y

·         (-ies)
Ø  Consonant + y

Present Continuous Tense
1.      Usage              : To describe an activity that is currently happening (still in progress).
2.      Sentence Pattern
·         Verbal Sentence
( + )     : Subject + to be + V1 + ing + AOT + Complement
( - )      : Subject + to be  + not + V1 + ing + AOT + Complement
( ? )      : To be + Subject + V1 + ing + AOT + Complement + ?

3.      Adverb of Time (AOT)          
·         Now
·         Right now
·         At this time
·         At the moment
·         Etc.


EVALUATION

Task 1
Distinguish the following sentences into the correct category in the T chart! 
(On the whiteboard)

1.      Andrew seldom __________ (come) late to the school.
2.      My mother __________ (bake) some cookies for my friends right now.
3.      A hotel guest ________ (not / wait) for a taxi at the moment.
4.      My sister ____________ (not / listen) to the news on the television every night.
5.      ______ all the students ______ (wear) skirt to school every day ?

Simple Present Tense
Present Continuous Tense








Task 2
Complete the sentences above using the suitable form of verbs !
(Orally)


Task 3
Complete the sentences by choosing the correct answer!
(Kahoot)

1.      Cassie _________ to the market every Sunday.
a.       Go
b.      Goes
c.       Is going
d.      Going

2.      My sister and I ________________ our grand parent house right now.
a.       Visit
b.      Visits
c.       Are visiting
d.      Visiting
3.      Mia does not __________ her notebook in every English class.
a.       Bring
b.      Brings
c.       Is bringing
d.      Bringing

4.      I ___________ a letter for my uncle at the moment.
a.       Write
b.      Writes
c.       Am writing
d.      Writing

5.      Are the boys ____________ basketball now ?
a.       Play
b.      Plays
c.       Are playing
d.      Playing
  
ANSWER KEY

Task 1

Simple Present Tense
Present Continuous Tense
1.      Andrew seldom __________ (come) late to the school.
2.      My sister ____________ (not / listen) to the news on the television every night.
3.      ______ all the students ______ (wear) skirt to school every day ?

1.      My mother __________ (bake) some cookies for my friends right now.
2.      A hotel guest ________ (not / wait) for a taxi at the moment.



Task 2
Simple Present Tense
1.      Andrew seldom comes late to the school.
2.      My sister doesn’t listen to the news on the television every night.
3.      Do all the students wear skirt to school every day ?

Present Continuous Tense
1.      My mother is baking some cookies for my friends right now.
2.      A hotel guest is not waiting for a taxi at the moment.


Task 3 (Kahoot)
1.      B. Goes
2.      C. Are visiting
3.      A. Bring
4.      C. Am writing
5.      D. Playing
  

    





Previous Teaching Practices in M1/1 and M1/2










1 comment:

Strolling Around Thailand

      During my stay in Thailand I managed to visit some of Thailand’s famous landmarks as I spend my weekends. I am not going to explain so...